Friday, May 3, 2013

FROM THE MOUTH OF BABES

Short story by Barbara Cornell.


Syndicated from Barbara Cornell’s personal blog.


So, last night, my kid sez to me, “People are always trying to make me do things even after I told them I don’t want to do it. Even when it’s none of their business.”


So, I sez to her, “That’s never going to stop. I truly do not know why, but for some reason people get heavily invested in trying to force everyone else to live their lives the way they want them to, even when they clearly haven’t figured out how to live their own lives. Just because people tell you that you have to do things, doesn’t always mean you have to. Sometimes you do. Mostly you do not. The only way you’ll ever be happy is to decide either you’re going to do whatever everybody else wants you to do, or decide you’re going to make your own decisions and not care if other people are pissed off about it.”


“Well, then that’s what I’m going to do.”


“What’s that?”


“Do what I think I should do. They’re never gonna be happy anyway. They’ll just want me to do something else when I’m finished with the first thing.”


Man. 12 years old, and she’s already figuring out things I had to learn over and over and over.


EDITOR’S NOTE: This is a lesson I myself learned only recently. Most of us have been raised to be docile and listen to authority. What we need to understand is that, ultimately, we are our own authority. Our government is infested with meddlers and parasites. We all need to get in the habit of standing our ground and pushing back. We need to understand that we are each the absolute sovereigns of our own lives. We will overcome.


FROM THE MOUTH OF BABES

No comments:

Post a Comment