Saturday, July 6, 2013

Homos Orate -- Man Who Prays

The Science of Homo-Sapien


"Candle Lighting," by Petr Kratochvil. A picture with a human lighting candles.

“Candle Lighting,” by Petr Kratochvil.


Science gave our species the name, homo sapiens: Man who knows or man who is wise.


We are the only surviving species of our genus, homo.


 


Struck Blind


Last March I had an experience reminiscent of Saint Paul being knocked off his horse.


Only instead of seeing God, I saw my life.


I was so mortified, so horrified by that insight that I went blind, lost my memory and had a nervous breakdown.


When the event happened I thought I was having a heart attack or stroke so I had my father and sister take me to the local emergency hospital.


After finding me in relative good physical health (a non-emergency) the doctor treated me for high blood pressure and then released me.


My vision has since returned and my memory loss was restricted to details like names and dates.  


I couldn’t remember the names of our pets or relatives or friends of the family or songs or pop culture figures, political and historical figures.


 


Epiphany


I had one other insight.


I became aware that man possesses a never ending pulse, or well spring.


What comes out of that well spring is man’s primordial yearning for his Creator.


Everything we do whether good or evil, constructive, destructive or self-destructive, effective or ineffective, nurturing or murdering, compassionate or cruel, giving or greedy, healing or diseased…


…is powered by that never ending pulse, that yearning for the Creator.


It is the dynamo that drives us unceasingly. And if we don’t order our lives to it we go mad.


And just as the Big Bang which powered the creation of the Universe left an omnipresent voice called the cosmic background radiation, the pulse that powers our life also has an unceasing, everpresent voice.


We are homo orate (or-AH-tay), man who prays.



Homos Orate -- Man Who Prays

No comments:

Post a Comment